My Photo
Name:
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I grew up in Ontario and Nunavut, and went to university in New Brunswick. For two years I lived in Ottawa, on the green belt. While I was there I wrote about nature. Then I moved to Montreal and I wrote nothing for a year. We've got nature here too, so I'm going to write about it.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Alot in the news this week about Coyotes. Coyote was hit by a car not far from here. Probably one of mine.

People in Barrhaven were warned to be wary of coyotes. Apparently there have been a number of them sighted there.

Read a story last week about one of the smaller towns in the county. Apparently there have been alot of coyotes there too. One person set out poisoned food for them, and wound up poisoning the neighbour's dog instead.

West of Pembroke a woman killed a wolf that had eaten her beagle. She was in the habit of leaving the beagle chained outside for 12 or more hours a day, coming home from work midday to set out a plate of food. The wolf, it is thought, took to stealing the dog's food, and on the dog's last day, he woke up as it was happening. Three days later, the woman saw a wolf in her yard, and shot it.

There have been trappers hired to reduce the coyote population in carleton county. The news says that people should beware of coyotes. To hell with that. The coyotes should beware.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

i was skiing in piney forest (west hunt club area) last night and a coyote/wolf? appeared about 20 feet in front of us. not scared or running away it sat there for a while. for a joke i howled and the beast howled back a couple of times and barked! one of the people in my group was a little concerned so i skied towards it and only then did it run off.

i spent the first 20 years of my life living in the netherlands and grew up in a busy urban area where wildlife is virtually non-existent, now i live close to gatineau park and have seen (and heard) wolfs before from a very very far distance, to see one so close and howling was an experience that i won't forget for the rest of my life.

we are lucky to live in a city that has forests with wildlife and the greenbelt is a treasure that should be kept and guarded so that next generations can
enjoy similar experiences.

wim...

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home